So the last time I posted, I promised to tell you how I got hooked into the world of upper cervical chiropractic, specifically NUCCA. The question is...where to start. I guess the beginning would be a great place!
I was studying at UBC when I first started becoming interested in what most people would consider alternative health care: herbology, aromatherapy, naturopathy, and chiropractic to name a few. At this point, I was still undecided as to which branch of health care I was going to pursue. But before I could even complete my Bachelor's degree, I began suffering from daily debilitating headaches. I began sleeping 14-16 hours a day, skipping classes and suffering from extremely low levels of energy. I could barely function! I ended up on months of anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant medication during these 4 months. For some reason, chiropractic treatments were never brought up. I saw a physiotherapist, my dentist and orthodontist but I never saw a chiropractor. Through sheer will, luck and great friends, I managed to graduate from UBC one semester late. I was still suffering from headaches, but as my stress level decreased, so did the frequency and severity of my headaches. At about the same time, my mother began seeing a chiropractor for various reasons and it was while accompanying my mother on these chiropractic visits that my interest in chiropractic was really born. I decided to go to chiropractic school and so began my chiropractic adventure.
March 5, 2001. The first day of chiropractic school at Palmer College in Davenport, Iowa. I must admit I was rather nervous that first week what with moving to a strange city and starting a new school knowing absolutely no one. It was the first time I was all alone. I was lucky though, and made some great friends during that first week. It's great being a Canadian and having that one commonality made things so much easier to get to know people! Anyway, back to how I got involved in NUCCA.
As you can imagine, my stress levels increased again with the study and course load. What student isn't stressed in school? Luckily, as chiropractic students, we had the opportunity to free chiropractic care at the school and so my headaches were pretty manageable. Up until my 4th academic trimester. I had gone home for a quick little vacation after my first year at Palmer and during that time, I suffered my 6th car accident. I didn't think anything of it since it was just a bit of a bump with no damage to the car, but as I now know, those types of accidents are the worst kind! Instead of having the vehicle absorb the force and take the damage, your body does instead! So I headed back to school to start the 2nd year without really knowing how much damage had truely been done.
During this 4th semester, my daily excruciating headaches came back. My school work began to suffer and no matter how often I was getting adjusted in the clinic, the headaches would be back within the hour. In fact, 45 minutes after getting adjusted, I was already out of alignment and could be adjusted again! Luckily for me, one of my professors was a NUCCA patient and introduced me to a NUCCA chiropractor just off campus. I took her advice and made an appointment with Dr. Arp and those first few visits changed my life.
I went from holding my adjustment for mere minutes to weeks at a time! Plus my headaches decreased in frequency and severity so quickly I knew I had found the technique I wanted to share with my future patients. For me, going from daily headaches, to no headaches at all (unless I was starting to lose my alignment) was my little miracle. Thank you Mrs. Bonnie Smith for telling me about NUCCA and to you, Dr. Cynthia Arp for helping so much! You changed the course of my life!
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great post Franchesca! I always love to hear other people's stories of how they got into Upper Cervical Chiropractic. Keep up the posts and keep changing lives!
ReplyDeleteThese hours will be what I will be starting with for the time being and I will add more hours depending upon demand. I would be honoured to treat you and your family at this new location, particularly if this location is more convenient for you. Chiropractic Massage Dynamic YYC
ReplyDelete